In accordance with Article 13 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the BERD@BW team provides information on its newsletter. Please observe the general information on data protection on and in connection with our websites in the Data Protection Declaration of the University of Mannheim.
I. Identity and contact details of the controller
The controller within the meaning of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is:
University of Mannheim
II. Contact details of the data protection officer
Data protection officer of the University of Mannheim
III. Personal data processing in the BERD newsletter
1. Description and extent of data processing
On our website, you have the option to subscribe to a free newsletter („BERD newsletter“). The newsletters‘ administration with regard to subscriptions, deliveries and the recipients administration requires a software. We use a WordPress newsletter plugin wich runs on servers of the University of Mannheim, University Library.
Subscription to a newsletter takes place with a double opt-in , i.e. the subscription is only completed when you click on the corresponding link in the e-mail you receive to confirm your subscription. The data stored during the newsletter subscription process (e-mail address, IP address, time stamp of subscription and activation) are stored on servers of the University of Mannheim in Germany in line with the European data protection regulations. Your data will not be used for any other purposes than the delivery of the newsletter. It is not permitted to disclose your personal data.
When delivering newsletters, the delivery status is recorded in order to sort out recipient addresses that are no longer in service.
2. Legal basis for data processing
The legal basis for the processing of personal data after subscription to the newsletter by the users, once their consent has been obtained, is Article 6 paragraph 1(a) GDPR.
3. Purpose of data processing
The user’s e-mail address is processed for the purpose of delivering the newsletter.
The purpose of collecting other personal data (IP address, time stamp of subscription and activation) in the course of the subscription process is to prevent the misuse of the services or of the e-mail address used.
4. Storage period
The data will be deleted once the the purpose for which they have been collected ceases to apply. Therefore, the user’s e-mail address will be stored until the user unsubscribes from the newsletter or it has been established that the e-mail address is no longer in service.
5. Right to object and deletion of data
You can withdraw your consent to receiving the newsletter at any time and without having to state any reasons and unsubscribe from the newsletter free of charge. To that end, each newsletter contains a corresponding link.
III. Data subject rights
- You have the right to obtain information about your personal data stored by the University of Mannheim according to Article 15 GDPR and the right to have false data rectified according to Article 16 GDPR.
- Furthermore, you have the right to erasure (Article 17 GDPR) and the right to restriction of processing (Article 18 GDPR).
- If you have given consent to data processing, you can withdraw your consent to data processing at any time. The withdrawal of consent does not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
- If the consent is withdrawn within the scope of a contractual relationship, the fulfillment of the contract may no longer be possible.
- Furthermore, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority if you are of the opinion that the processing of your personal data is not in compliance with data protection regulations (Article 77 GDPR). The supervisory authority responsible is the commissioner for data protection and freedom of information of Baden-Württemberg (Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz und die Informationsfreiheit Baden-Württemberg).
IV. Right to object according to Article 21 GDPR
On grounds relating to your particular situation, you have the right to object to the processing of your personal data according to Article 6 paragraph 1(e) GDPR (data processing in the public interest) at any time.